'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 26 March 2008

Love




I once moved into a new home.  The previous owners had had a ten year old nephew staying with them.  I heard he had 'gone off the rails' in some unspecified way.  When I opened up the garage, a large board nailed to the far end revealed itself.  On it were chalked in a childish hand the words "TO LOVE AND BE LOVED."  I was struck to the spot, and overcome by a wave of huge sadness to think what kind of experiences a child of ten could have had that would plummet him to such depths of despair and profundity.

That was thirty years ago.  In the interim, I have lived a bit of life, and learnt a few things.  
And I've found out it's true.  They are the two essential requirements and motivators of our lives:  
The need to have someone to love; and to be loved back.  

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
- David Viscott How to Live with Another person.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I wanted to type about my grand adventure. I gave friends my blog site, but I am not sure anyone reads any of it. I greatly appreciate your comments. I have read some of your blog. From what little I have read I believe you are a wonderful woman with riches beyond measure in her life. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.