'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 30 April 2008

The Limpopo


Inspired by Steve's wonderful photos of Manchester, I slipped down the bank (literally, actually - never mind, it can be washed) to take some photos of my river.  I usually kayak, but wasn't much tempted today.  After all the rain it was slipping past at about 30 kph and looking silently, scarily magnificent - great and grey-green and greasy...


This is what my river usually looks like:

4 comments:

  1. Can you send me a large version of these images? They look fantastic. I'm sure if anyone was asked they would say the photo was taken somewhere in South America or another jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, trouble is a lot of it is that noxious inkweed grown to tree proportions! On the other side of course, not our side :-)
    Pics on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAY OF PLENTY
    So green - so lovely
    I can almost hear the sounds
    Of your faraway islands
    In the eons before men stole in
    With their Polynesian canoes
    And their dreams of grandeur
    Rest in peace
    Dear elephant bird
    On behalf of the human race
    I am very sorry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you YP. I'm honoured to have inspired you to such eloquence. Lovely verse. I'm sorry too. Of course it's not just the elephant bird either.

    The head of the English department, daughter's school, wrote a moving poem when he first came out from South Africa to NZ... I'll put it on the Passepartout when it's up and running.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.