'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 4 June 2008

A Leek Quiche is not to be Despised




I once began to read a foodie column, probably in some waiting room somewhere, and the above title caught my eye.  I thought the sentence was wonderful!  It conjured up for me a whole frowning crowd of chef-hatted cooks, poking at a leek quiche with forefingers or wooden spoons and muttering disparaging comments.
I promptly wrote down the recipe.  And the quiche wasn't bad, but not as memorable as the sentence.

So, here's my lunch today:  Home-made bread, slivers of red pepper, a dollop of home-made green tomato chutney, and a thick topping of mature cheddar, grilled to a light golden colour.  

I would like you to go away with this thought:  Grilled cheese on toast is not to be despised.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.