'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 3 August 2008

The Especially Great, Grey-green and Greasy.





The above photo is what my river looked like one soft winter morning last month.
The one below I took last Wednesday at the height of our terrible weather - three storms in a week!  And affecting the whole country, too.


 I have posted before about my lovely river.  Kayaking on it, and floods.

But the triple storm sequence we have had here in the last week has been really spectacular.  And, at times, scary, depending on what part of the New Zealand you live in.
Some photos from around New Zealand here.



Our river has never been as high in the 14 years we've been here!  On the photo I've dashed a line along the usual bank.  The white circle shows the top 15 cm (6 ins) of the pole that marks the top of our steps into the river.  The pole is about a metre (a yard) high.  At high tide the water usually reaches half a metre below the top of the steps.  Compare this pic with the next one, taken an hour later.  The pole has gone completely, and the water surrounds the punga trunk.


Ironically I notice that the 'post a day' napblopomo theme for this month is 'hot'.  Hmmm, here, it will have to be hot topics like weather bombs.  Or hot chocolate, hot soup or hot fires...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, heavy rains and lots of flooding. I hope all you in NZ are safe.

    Here in the US I had not heard a peep about this. I guess our media doesn't want to convey any news that might offer evidence of global climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, Dan my friends in Germany and the UK also don't get much news from here...I think it's just that most countries are interested more in their own news. But, then again, you could be right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All set about with fever trees" - - I haven't heard that Kipling quote about the Limpopo river for years! In England last summer there was truly terrible flooding - - this year it's just varied from damp to wet.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.