'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 10 August 2008

Ferry 'cross the Strait




Here's the sea on the Cook Strait ferry crossing on our recent trip down to Dunedin.  We had to wait an  extra day before it was calm enough (!)  As an artist, I loved the texture.  As someone with a stomach, I found it best outside in the wind.  
The winds funnel through the strait, and this, combined with rips and cross-rips, make this one of the world's roughest three hours of water crossed daily.  Actually, the worst bit is only about three-quarters of an hour.  But that can seem a looooong time when all around you people are using paper bags.  Not on this trip, thank goodness, although there were some sad faces.


As soon as we were inside the Marlborough Sounds, the sea calmed down.  What a difference!

Here is a clip from another crossing.  Lots of bag use on this one, I'd say.


2 comments:

  1. I really like seeing these ferry clips - imagine how rough it was when the Wahine was entering Wellington in 1968!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Auden! I was thinking that too! Where were you then? I remember the big storm very well as my sister and I were both sleeping in the attic of our old childhood home and I think it was one of the only times she ever crept into bed with me. The wind noise was deafening, and we were inland Hawkes Bay!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.