'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 18 August 2008

Plastic bag alternatives



I am pleased to see some UK supermarkets are phasing out plastic bags.  Here in NZ, they are still used , but there is encouragement and increasing social pressure not to... and to buy the supermarket re-useable ones.  And they are certainly nice and cheap at 99c each.  But I often seem to leave them either at home or in the car.  And my kids give me a hard time for using my willow basket or string bags  (too much association with the 'granny' image).
But this is a neat idea.  Little bags that roll up like socks.  Nice colours too.  And washable so you can get the potato-soil out.  Flip & Tumble.  


2 comments:

  1. For a few years, we have rarely had to grab any supermarket bags. Taking your own bags is an easy habit to get into. I just wish there was more we could practicably do to save our planet. Refusing supermarket bags seems like a drop in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, YP. I guess every little bit helps. I read somewhere that every day in New Zealand five plastic bags are used per head of population. I couldn't believe it, until I thought of all the plastic that comes around the biscuits, the meat, in the letterbox, the DVD's etc etc...

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.