'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 16 August 2008

Shock



Like another blogger, I have a supermarket story.  I was wandering down the confectionary aisle the other day, trying not to buy chocolate, when I saw a young woman coming towards me wearing nothing but a pair of dark purple pajamas.  I was shocked.  Then I was amused at how shocked I was.  Upbringing, you know.  Not even a dressing-gown.  Bare feet, no slippers.

When I got to the checkout I mentioned the incident, and again had my comfort zone cage rattled, for she simply replied "oh we get that all the time.  Once my brother came in in just a towel.  At least it's better than that!"  

I feel so old sometimes.  Especially when I hear my parents' voices echo in my head when I have the impulse to say "What's the world coming to?"  

First global warming (twice as bad as previously thought) and now this!

I must counter this creeping conservatism in myself.   Perhaps I could do a tandem para-glide.
I haven't even been camping for years.  Well, I did drive down to Dunedin and back last month. 

Or I could phone that woman back again about that teaching post in Brazil...


1 comment:

  1. Katherine,

    Go camping! My wife and I went camping twice this summer (the first time in some years) and loved it. Being outdoors all day, in nature's forgiving embrace does the global-warming wearied soul a world of good.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.