'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 16 September 2008

Spring 4




I had a lovely day today - spent most of it in the garden.  Mowed the lawns and general tidying.  The japanese maples are just coming into leaf, and the wisteria is about three days away from fabulous.  The little pink winter violets are almost over and the flowering cherries are a mass of frothy pink up in the village.  I think I'll go for a walk on Sunday morning and see if I can take a nice photo of them.  I don't usually go much for urban landscapes, but they did catch my eye today when I went to the post office.  

As I worked, I heard the tui, californian quail, kingfisher,  grey warbler, and of course the ubiquitous sparras, blackbirds and pukekoes down at the river.
It won't be long before the shining cuckoo turns up back from the Solomon Islands, with its distinctive song, and the usual plans for stealing egg space in the warbler's nests.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.