'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 24 October 2008

Friday night is movie night


Scene from Local Hero
Urquhart: [acting as bartender] I want you to try this Scotch. It's 42 years old. 
MacIntyre: Old enough to be out on its own, then. 

And tonight is no exception.  Pot luck tea first,  A & O will probably bring their usual delicious quiche and I'll make scalloped potatoes and a big bowl of salad (lettuce, avocado, sprouts and tomatoes) and we have spiced banana muffins to go with the cuppa at 'intermission'. 
I've posted about this before...
We have long finished Dickens Our Mutual Friend epic.
So tonight perhaps we'll watch Kolya or maybe The English Patient, or The World's Fastest Indian

Or maybe one of my favourite movies of all time; Local Hero.  I know it was made in 1983, but I still love it.  Dry humour, stunning scottish scenery.  A gentle story that trickles along almost in the background, superb acting, unpretentious and understated dialogue, a great movie - sometimes melancholy, sometimes hilarious.  

Oh and the wonderful soundtrack by Mark Knopfler.


2 comments:

  1. Local Hero - also one of my very favourite movies! Must look for it again. Thanks for the reminder.
    Saw Kite Runner the other day - it was really beautifully done - I can recommend it - although its quite tragic in places. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look out for it Val. My boys say I must go and see Wal-E...

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.