'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 13 January 2010

What to do with leftover Christmas Mince


How to make a quick and yummy dessert in no time flat!

1. Roll out some flaky pastry* to about 3 mm (1/4 inch) thickness.
2. Cut out circles using a drinking glass or a cookie cutter.
3. Put a dollop (about a teaspoon) of Christmas mince in the centre of each one and smooth it out a bit but not right to the edges.
4. Brush some water on another circle.
5. Firmly pinch the two pastry circles together around the edges.


6. Cut three deepish knife cuts in the top of each one, brush with beaten egg or milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake in a hottish oven (200ºC or 400ºF) for about ten minutes until golden.



These Flaky Mincies keep in a jar for ages, but are nicest eaten hotted up in an oven then doused with cream.


*I always buy mine. Flaky pastry takes ages to make and is really fiddly.

4 comments:

  1. I have only five words to say about these pies: yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.
    If you have any left over please send them to ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some left - send address by email and ye shall receive.

    Has your bluff has been called? Or are you the adventurous type who goes cycling around windmills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY yummy, indeed!
    May I also suggest coring an apple, either dessert or cooking, then stuffing the middle with Christmas Mincemeat, placing in a ramekin and baking in the oven until soft? I add some chopped walnuts to the middle, as well. And cream or hot custard poured over to serve, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kitty, you just sent me a memory of those fragrant baked apples my mum used to make. The walnuts are important for texture, aren't they! Mum used to put dates in, and I still remember the day I got a stone in a date.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.