'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 20 June 2010

The Droste Effect


Can you see the last visible The Last Visible Dog?

Escher explored a fantastical droste effect in some of his paintings. Here is a site I discovered that animates a loop so you can go on a 'journey' into an Escher painting... forever!

4 comments:

  1. This is another one to which I will have to return. Using Firefox I received the message that there were no suitable plug-ins. There are some great possibilities for a play though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried a different plug-in. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth21.6.10

    This has always fascinated me. Back in the 60's there was a fad for story books that showed a child reading a book with a picture of a child reading a book with a picture of a child reading a book. I used to sit and stare at the covers for hours imagining the thing going on and on way beyond my sight. It wasn't until I discovered Escher that I saw the effect again. I never knew the phenomenon had a name! Thank you for this, Katherine. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to help Elizabeth. The droste effect is what 'The Last Visible Dog is all about! I have a link just under my heading if you are interested in more information.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.