'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 4 September 2010

The art of making a Lassi


To make one large glass of Lassi:

1. De-seed and chop the skin off a generous slice of what I call pawpaw (but you may call papaya).
Pop it into a suitable vessel that won't splatter fruit everywhere when you pulp it. I use my new cup because it fits my liquidiser stick perfectly.


2. Liquidise the fruit.
3. Add about the same volume again, of plain yoghurt, plus sugar to taste. I added one teaspoon and this was just right for me. Give it another spin, or mix well with a spoon.

4. Add milk until it is the consistency you wish. I added only a little because I like to eat lassi with a spoon. It's really supposed to be a drink.

5. Consume. This is like heaven. (It's especially good as a 'soother' after hot Indian curries.)


12 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, sounds healthy...I'll give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that's not it. To make a Lassie you need two rough collies. One male and one female. Unfortunately, you may end up with half a dozen Lassies and a couple of them might be Laddies. It's best not to stick a liquidiser in them or they might scratch you with their paw paws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you were not affected by today's earthquake, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lassi looks so cool & refreshing. I'll have to give it a try. Happy weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Katherine. I found my way here through NaBloPoMo and love the pawpaw with milk drink idea! We have pawpaws on our tree now, so will see if any are ripe enough to make the drink tomorrow. I'm Australian, by the way.

    I really like the September badge you made. I'm having no end of trouble working out how to add a badge into the sidebars, without the code, on a self-hosted Wordpress blog! Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Morning,
    Just read the news! Hope you and your family have not been affected by the earthquake.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules and Lizzy - it's almost heavenly - much nicer than you'd imagine from the ingredients...

    YP. Ha ha. Terrible pun.

    Robert and Brian and Little House. Thank you for your concern. We were fine and didn't feel even a smidgeon of a tremor up in Miranda where I was for the weekend. But as un-luck would have it, my daughter was in Christchurch visiting her father for the first time in ages and so she has some stories to tell! She is quite unharmed but was quite shaken up ha ha. She has given me permission to tell her story as a post, so I will when I have a moment.

    Joanne - Welcome to TLVD! Thank you for your kind comments re the badge. I wish I could help you post it but have no idea... I will invite my son to help out if he's able.
    I'm envious you can grow pawpaw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. James5.9.10

    Hi Joanne, this site should help:
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/image-widget/

    ReplyDelete
  9. (And thank you for showing me how to change the comment style too James!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't make up my mind whether to try it as a yoghurt consistency for breakfast or as a drink with curry (I usually use ginger beer). Guess I may try both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both. Definitely both. Of course you can make it with other fruit; strawberries, raspberries, mango; almost any soft fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.