'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 30 September 2010

Garden Art






A couple of years ago I decided to let the wisteria vine grow up strings to the gutter-line in the front of the house. It was a tricky job keeping the tendrils from exploring inside the roof and although it kept the verandah lovely and cool last year, I'd almost resolved to chop it right back this year. And I still might.
But I'm glad I haven't got around to it yet, because this last week it has been a real treat for eyes and nose as the glorious lilac racemes drip like soft bunches of delicate grapes all across the front of the house. Visitors have to almost enter a pale purple cave to come inside! And when we open the back door, the spring breeze wafts the gentle scent all through the house.

4 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. For me a garden should have a bit of wilderness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved wisteria when I was growing up in Texas. Here in north Georgia it grows wild and takes over pine trees, eventually killing them.

    But I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wisteria is out all around us here. We dont have one in our garden, but it is so pretty and I wish we had the space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. And I'm missing it all! Ah well. Only 4 more week's. Argh. So much to do first. Never enough time in one's life is there?

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.