'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 19 March 2011

Books


I've just discovered my university has a marvelous book-binding department. Hmmm, I'd love to do a course. I wonder how I can justify it. One of the links posted on the site led here:


The reading is from New Zealand writer Maurice Gee's book 'Going West'.

3 comments:

  1. My brother took a book-binding course once. He did a nice job with binding some old and well-read worn paperback books gone out of print.

    I never did the full book-binding job but I did take part a couple of times in colouring bookcover paper and and making myself a folder to keep a writing pad in. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paper cutting in this video is remarkable! As for the book binding course, it might not be profitable considering all the digital reading devices flooding the market these days. Personally, I still prefer the book in hand; moreover, I still check out from the library (for free) and return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an idea, Dawn... Re-binding is a useful application of the knowledge.

    Judy - isn't the video great!? Yes, I know about ebooks, Kindle, and my daughter reads on her iPhone... but there's just something so yummy and almost cuddly about a real book!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.