'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Unannounced Visitors

One of the many fun things about doing study at distance is that I can ask for library books to be sent to me.
I can go online and peruse the books in all the libraries in New Zealand (actually, they will even send away to other parts of the world for me too!) and all the academic papers, and find what I want to read.
Then, within days there are footsteps on the steps and some courier man leaves behind these delicious presents on the mat. It's rather like Christmas! They even come with their own return envelope for when I'm finished with them.

Regularly I have other unannounced visitors. Each morning I check the back of the linen cupboard. It's dark in there. I dread what I might find...


Auugh! Yes. Another one this morning. Thank goodness my son is home to cast them over the retaining wall into the long vegetation down the bank.

I just wish he'd get up a little earlier.

It's hard to do my work knowing the little grey corpse is still there.


1 comment:

  1. It's always exciting when the courier person brings things especially when they are as exciting as the things you describe.

    The first year when I returned from New Zealand the mickies (as Pat calls them) had over-run my garden shed completely - and I mean COMPLETELY! - and although I happen to love mice I'm not prepared to share my living space with them so I set traps before I leave for NZ. Fortunately a friend removes the corpses for me too otherwise I hate to think what state they'd be in when I got back to Lewis.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.