'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Eastern Rosella


For many years we have known that a pair or two of Eastern Rosellas have sometimes been visiting our Tanekaha tree. There's no mistaking the 'kwink kwink' call and their parrotty-monkey chattering to each other. And the brilliant flash of bright colors looks splendidly exotic as they swoop over the house. But the dense vegetation (and possibly a healthy respect for our cats - now deceased) has precluded a decent look until the other day when a couple came down to the lawn.
They are almost certainly the offspring of original escaped caged birds, brought from Australia. There's mixed reaction to them here as they like to eat orchard fruits. But I think they are lovely.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that it was Eastern Rosellas that used to pinch the golf balls when I played golf in Perth. They were fearless and very cheeky and roamed in packs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is a wonderful bird. Well worth an apple or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a bit of a handicap Geeb.

    I think so too Adrian. But then I don't make a living from my orchard. If, indeed, I even had one.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.