'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 14 January 2012

TV



Everyone I know seems to be buying a gigantic television at the moment. I enter a house I have always felt safe in, and come around the corner and BANG! there's a huge monster lurking, eyeing me balefully with its screen poised to blast out adverts and social manipulation*... or worse still, on, yet ignored, so I can't concentrate on conversations, and reply with statements like "So, when was your new steak-knife born?" etc.

But, I have to confess, I have just spent a very pleasant afternoon watching a great movie on Granny's huge Sony Syclops.


* and some quite good programmes on average once every 10489366077 days.

4 comments:

  1. 'When was your new steak-knife born?' Hahahahaha!!

    I used to have that same problem at my Mum's house. She would have a radio on in the kitchen (and often another on in the bedroom) and the TV would be on in the lounge. I found it horribly distracting. The sound would be turned down a little, but since Mum was just a tad deaf, not much. And as, inevitably, your eye was drawn, over and over again, to the screen in the corner, she'd say 'Oh, did you want to watch that?'. And despite our protests, up would go the volume.

    Must admit, we upgraded to a larger screen last year. I still kind of miss the smaller one. But at least ours is hardly ever on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've caught up at last. I'm away from Blogland for a week and everyone has been writing like crazy!

    I agree that there are few things more aggravating than televisions left on and ignored. I may be considered rude but if one is being ignored and is interfering with conversation I ask if it can be turned off. It's astonishing how many people say that they hadn't even noticed it was on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious cartoon! Any resemblance to yours truly's household is purely coincidental....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay: I do have a telly - a nice big one. But haven't watched anything on it but movies for years. My kids bought me an Apple TV, so it links to movies on my hard drive. Actually the last TV I watched on it was 9/11.

    Geeb. I know many single people have the TV on for company. I may too one day, so I really shouldn't have made this post so dogmatic. :-)

    Robert: Same here!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.